The cruise was scheduled to leave from Amsterdam on May 21st, but we spent a few days sightseeing the city beforehand. Our stay in Amsterdam turned out to be my favorite part of our 26 day vacation; the people I met during our five day stay were among the friendliest I've met in any city -- they were very approachable, genuinely interested in talking with me, and extremely sociable. On numerous occasions people who just happened to be standing next to me in line or on an elevator would start a discussion with me. Store clerks would also engage in friendly conversation even when they knew that we would not be purchasing anything at their stores. And the city is quite photogenic with all of the narrow houses lining the canals. I probably have way too many pictures of Amsterdam for my blog, but I couldn't contain myself.
| Amsterdam Theater |
| Amsterdam, Netherlands |
| One of many canals in Amsterdam, Netherlands |
Our hotel was located very close to all the action downtown. It was a short walk from restaurant row, the flower market, many of the major museums, and the Concertgebauw Hall, home of the Dutch Concertgebauw Orchestra. Although our room was just adequate for our stay, the dining room and reading room where customers could read the newspaper with a coffee was quite elaborate.
| Restaurant in the First (American) Hotel |
| Restaurant in the First (American) Hotel |
No comments:
Post a Comment