Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 23, 2011: A nice walk --- Margit Island & Freedom Square

January 23, 2011: Although I originally had planned on walking near Husok tere this afternoon, when I saw the stop for the #1 tram approaching, I immediately changed my plans and got off the bus to take the tram to Margit Island instead. It had been a long time since I visited the island and with the weather not so frigid, I decided a brisk walk on the island would be fun. This time I focused on the western side of the island and encountered a couple of new sites previously unknown to me:





At the southern end of Margit Island I walked across the Margit Bridge and roamed by the Parliament Building and by an interesting bronze statue

to Freedom Square. There were large stately buildings around the square. Freedom Square was built to commemorate freedom from the Hapsburgs in 1848.


Freedom Square

Parliament Building as seen from Freedom Square

Freedom Square

Clearly, it looks like I've found another section of Budapest that will require more investigation. Until then, I returned home to prepare tonight's dinner and rested. Another weekend is over.

2 comments:

  1. Richard,
    Horrible news here at JPL: - sorry if this is how you are finding out.
    Kelly Moran

    OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR

    January 24, 2011

    TO: JPL Employees and Contractor Personnel

    FROM: Charles Elachi

    SUBJECT: Rick Grammier

    I am deeply saddened to tell you that Rick Grammier, JPL’s Director for Solar System Exploration, died suddenly Sunday afternoon, January 23.

    Rick brought great strength to the Executive Council in his leadership role overseeing the Laboratory’s robotic missions to the planets and small bodies. Joining JPL in 1989, he contributed to numerous flight projects including Cassini, Stardust, Deep Impact and Juno, and managed the Laboratory’s Office of Mission Assurance. A graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York, he also held a master’s degree in electrical and computer engineering from California State Polytechnic University.

    This is a great personal loss for me and for the Laboratory. We will share information on arrangements as it becomes available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!
    Those types of buildings and the construction in general is very similar to Buenos Aires.
    I'm in hotels in Palermo Hollywood, but in the downtown, the architecture is just like those pictures.

    ReplyDelete