Kent and I decided to go directly downtown for dinner. We first roamed Vaci utca before I took him to what has become my favorite restaurant -- in fact the first restaurant that I ate at in Hungary when I arrived on August 14th. When we arrived, the restaurant was filled with vibrant people eating their meals. A harpist was playing music, and it felt good to sit down in such an atmosphere. I ordered the beef in red wine sauce dish -- delicious! I then ordered a home made lemon tart for dessert. A great meal was had by all.
We roamed the streets a bit more and returned to my apartment. The next day we went to Tesco where I got my first haircut since arriving in Hungary. The hair cutter spoke a bit of English and we managed to discuss a few topics while she cut my hair. Then I bought some groceries and we returned home, made a quick lunch, and went downtown to do some sightseeing. Kent wanted to go to the market and then the Museum of Agriculture so we took the bus to Ferenciek ter. We walked inside the building undergoing renovation so I could see the ceiling during daylight hours.
| building under renovation near Ferenciek ter |
| Building under renovation near Ferenciek ter |
From there we walked to the central market. After visiting the main and second floors, we went downstairs to see where fish and pickled vegetables are sold.
| Pickled vegetables for sale at central market |
| Happy vegetables for sale at central market |
| snowboard ramp constructed at Husok tere |
| Museum of Agriculture at sunset |
After seeing the castle, we went through the park and ended up quite near the ski jump just outside the fenced in area where ticketed people roamed. It was close enough to see the action:
After watching the snowboarders for several minutes, we proceeded to Liszt Ferenc ter for dinner. We tried to go to the same restaurant Ric and I went to two weeks ago, but there were no tables available. Not wanting to wait, we went to a different restaurant, a Spanish one, and had our dinner there. Not as good as the restaurant I had wanted to eat at.
Then we walked to St. Stephen's Basilica to meet two other CETP teachers for drinks.
| St. Stephen's Basilic by night |
Both of these teachers were younger than Kent's and my kids, but it was fun to talk with them. They both were extremely bright and had traveled extensively. One of them, Meg, is from Canada and this is her second year in Hungary where she teaches pre-school children. Her students are the children of some pretty well connected Hungarians, people who are movers and shakers in Hungary. The other woman is Indian and the daughter of someone who works in the UN. She has lived in Cambodia, South Africa, and has been in Hungary for two years now. She received her degree from UK. Both ladies were eager teachers and seemed to know a lot about Hungary, its history, and know Budapest well.
After a drink, we all proceeded to our homes where Kent and I crashed ... after all, we had walked several miles by the time we met Meg and Rani.
No comments:
Post a Comment