I learned a bit more about the death of the student yesterday. I heard a report that he had been hit by a train. Such a tragedy. One of my students who knew him, was very distressed and I excused her from class to console herself rather than try to concentrate on my lesson.
After school I again went to Keleti train station to pick up another CETP teacher who came to Budapest to join other CETP teachers for Thanksgiving dinner. We returned to my apartment and I gave him directions on how to get to the restaurant. He left for the restaurant and I prepared to go to a jazz concert at the Palace of Arts. Here's a picture of the National Theatre taken from the roof of the Palace of Arts.
| National Theatre of Hungary |
Brad Mehldau (piano) and Joshua Redman (saxophone) appeared there for a concert. I've long admired Mehldau and was quite anxious to hear him live. He will be performing in Los Angeles in December at Disney Hall, too so I will be seeing him before Ruth does. The concert was very well attended -- almost a full house. I was impressed with the musicianship of both Redman and Mehldau. Redman can make it sound like he's playing two saxophones by simultaneously playing one melody with the low notes and another with the upper ones. Mehldau's playing of the piano was very fluid -- his fingers floated over the keyboard. I was amazed at how he could make each hand play a different melody with different rhythm at the same time together with the saxophone. Although I was impressed with their musicality, the type of jazz is not for traditional listeners such as myself. At times the saxophone squawked and the piano repeatedly played the same chords over and over making the sound too avant garde for my taste, but the Hungarian audience seemed to enjoy the concert immensely. We received two encores due to the thunderous applause. The Hungarian jazz enthusiasts were of all ages ranging from the mid twenties to older people in their 60's. It was entertaining to be among such an enthusiastic group.
| Brad Mehldau at piano and Joshua Redman on the sax |
After the concert, I took the tram back to Vigado and from there it was a short walk to Vorosmarty ter where the Farmer's Market was and I met Dan, my CETP guest who had finished Thanksgiving dinner. We met and rode back to my apartment. And so ended my Thanksgiving in Hungary.
No comments:
Post a Comment