Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November 30, 2010: Santa Claus is Coming!

November 30, 2010: The oral English exam will take place on December 14th and I am part of the panel that will hear the students speak orally about various topics. Each panel will contain at least two teachers and the students will have several minutes to speak English about their topics. The exam is expected to take an entire day starting at 7:45 so that will be an exhausting day for us. Then, on December 15th, there will be another parent/teacher's meeting. Now that I know each student by name, I'm looking forward to being able to talk about the students' progress or lack thereof. Should be interesting given the classroom discussions I've had of late.

Today on the loud speakers, there was an announcement that Santa Claus will be visiting school on December 6th, the day that Hungary celebrates the arrival of Christmas. I hear that he will visit each classroom and give out candy. Apparently in Hungary, secular Christmas is celebrated on December 6th and the holy day is December 25th as it is in the US. Traditionally, Hungarians celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve and visit other members of the family on the Christmas Day and beyond. According to my discussions with the students, Christmas is as popular here as it is in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment