Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 1, 2011: Pancake House, St. Anne's Church

January 1, 2011: Happy New Year, everyone!

Since we didn't know what would be open on New Year's Day, Ruth surfed the web to see what restaurants we could go to. She found a pancake house located in Buda that she thought might be open. I had never been to that location before, but I knew how to get there and so it was a journey to a new region of Budapest for me to explore. We took the subway to Batthyany ter and from there we got a good view of the Parliament building and the Church of St. Anne. There was also a covered market in the square as well as the pancake restaurant.
Parliament as seen from Batthyany ter

St. Anne's Church

Covered Market at Batthyany ter

Pancake Restaurant
 A bit down the street was another church which was in disrepair.

At the pancake restaurant, I had two stuffed baked potatoes (really not stuffed -- more like potato mixed with chicken and broccoli) and a sour cherry-filled pancake. Ruth had a beef stew filled pancake followed by a chocolate filled and walnut & apple filled pancake. It was a rather cheap lunch but filling.


From Batthyany we took a subway to Ferenc Deak ter and walked to the Christmas market that was still open. Ruth bought a number of souvenirs and we returned home. After returning home, I cooked our pork roast for dinner and we were set for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment