After the 9C class party, the teachers assembled in the cafeteria which was transformed into a large restaurant configuration with linen tablecloths on the tables, a glass of wine for each teacher, a centerpiece of pine bows, and plates of cookies, cakes, etc. At the beginning of the lunch, the drama club staged a show. The beginning of the show was a knock off of the "Monica Show", a popular Hungarian reality show and the students presented something that was obviously very funny because the teachers were all in hysterics over what was said and done.
| School play for teachers for Christmas (comedy) |
Following the comedy there was a drama that was presented about an orphan who felt depressed at the beginning of the play but found hope when he was placed in a home to live. There were also poems that students read.
After that, several of us teachers got up on stage and sang some Christmas carols. The carols were in Hungarian, English, and German. I sang them as best I could and I guess several Hungarians were watching my lips during the Hungarian songs to see if I was really singing Hungarian and I was. I had no idea what I was singing, but sing I did.
After the carols, lunch was served and the teachers had a great time socializing with all the other teachers.
| Teachers' lunch for Christmas |
People started to leave, but not until we teachers practiced a dance routine that we are preparing for a celebration next year. We are doing the Waka Waka Dance by Shakira complete with synchronized dance steps that include swaying, jumping, twirling, clapping, and then of course doing the waka waka which appears to be an African style of dance. We practice this dance every day after school and I'm finally getting the hang of it. There's a lot to remember to do and many are prone to being on the wrong foot at the wrong time, twirling counterclockwise instead of clockwise, etc. Hopefully, we'll all be prepared for the dance when we'll be performing it next year.
| practicing the waka waka dance on the day before the Christmas lunch |
After that, Ruth and I proceeded to the dentist for an appointment for Ruth's crown to be recemented in her mouth. The dentist was very professional and really knew his stuff. Apparently Hungary enjoys a significant influx of patients from all over the world since the cost is relatively low compared to costs in the West. The dentist also spoke excellent English and was very patient friendly.
Leaving the dentist, we went to the market where I bought some beef to prepare my American recipe of Hungarian goulash. As usual, I added things to the recipe to "improve" it (e.g., caraway seed, mushrooms, etc.) The goulash turned out well, but next time I plan on adding a bit of red wine to it. Nevertheless, the meal was very good if I say so myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment