Saturday, March 5, 2011

March 5, 2011: Galambos Tamas Exhibit

March 5, 2011: David suggested that we go to an exhibit of a family friend of his in Buda. The artist's name is Galambos Tamas and the exhibit appealed to me. The paintings are very colorful and show great detail to shapes. The subjects of his paintings might not appeal to many viewers but I found them interesting. You can see some of his works by clicking on Tamas Galambos.

After the exhibit, we went to Vaci utca where David met his sister who came to Budapest for the weekend. On the way, we passed a large statue in a park. Hungary seems to love statues because they are prominent on just about every corner.

On Vaci utca I met David's sister and then I departed to make reservations at a hotel for some friends who will be visiting Budapest in May. From there I decided it was too early to return home so I took the subway to the Hungarian Museum of Fine Arts which I hadn't visited since last August. The museum is at Hero's Square and when I arrived, there was a huge march on the square. Hundreds of men and women dressed in blue jackets were marching around the perimeter of the square as a band played military music in the center of the square. I'm not sure what the occasion was.


After watching the procession for a while, I went into the museum and revisited the large collection of international artists' paintings on the three floors of the building. There was a special exhibit of Dutch masters' works and also an exhibit of photography on architectural forms in black and white.
Hungarian Museum of Fine Arts
After the museum I roamed in the Hero's Square area and ended up at Kodaly korund where I caught the subway home. The following pictures are of two buildings on that square, one that has been nicely renovated and one that is currently undergoing renovation. It will be nice after these renovations are complete.
newly renovated building on Kodaly korund

building undergoing renovation on Kodaly korund

No comments:

Post a Comment