- Although it was 5:30 a.m., the road was filled with activity. I think that our car was the only one on the highway for the first couple hours of driving but there were all sorts of modes of transportation including carts powered by cows or horses or tractors. Motorcycles were also common carrying many people as previously reported as were bicycles, some of which had huge bags of vegetables making the center of gravity of these bicycles above the head of the driver. Bicycles also carried pigs (plural) stowed in wicker baskets. Some tractors pulled huge carts overfilled with furniture. There were also a lot of trucks filled to capacity with people. I saw one man lying prone and clinging to the top of a van that was traveling at least 50 mph. And when we did eventually see other cars similar to ours (a Camry) it contained around ten people -- there was even a passenger sitting to the left of the driver in the front seat (The driver's side is on the left in Cambodian cars)!
| tractor toting furniture |
| cows being herded across road in rainstorm |
- The rice fields were extraordinarily beautiful. It's really difficult to capture the beauty of it all in a picture since you need to see the entire horizon of such a scene to appreciate the beauty of it. And workers were in some of the fields giving baths to their cows, quite a sight.
- There were plastic sheets gathered up along the road. Seyha, my driver explained that these sheets are spread out and water put on them so that they can "catch" crickets which are then fried and sold as a snack. Later he also showed me a streetside stall that sells fried tarantulas as a snack food, too.
- People were leaving large batteries (the size of car batteries) along the side of the road. These batteries are the source of electricity for the people, each battery lasting about 2 days. A truck would then come along and collect the batteries, charge them, and then put them back where they found them that evening. This cost is about 50 cents per charge.
| Seyha and Suny |
One good thing about the speedy trip to Phnom Penh, however, was the fact that I could enter the Royal Palace when it was open (8:00 - 11:00 and 2:00 - 5:00). I only had 35 minutes to go into some of the palaces on the grounds, but that was enough for me to get a feel for the palace. There were other outdoor things I could see that didn't close during those time periods so I saw what I wanted to see:
| Spires peeking from behind Royal Palace wall |
| Royal Palace entrance |
| Royal Palace |
| Royal Palace |
| Royal Palace |
| Royal Palace |
| Royal Palace |
| Royal Palace |
| Royal Palace |
| Royal Palace |
| Royal Palace |
| Royal Palace |
| Royal Palace |
| Royal Palace |
After that we drove to Choeung Ek Genocidal Center (aka Killing Fields) which was some distance out of town. If Aushwitz in Krakow, Poland was disturbing, the Killing Fields are horrific. I cannot bring myself to describe the torture that was inflicted on 3.5 million Cambodian people (men, women, children, and babies) from 1975 to 1979 ("four years, eight months, and twenty days" as Seyha says -- the exact number of days is known by all Cambodians), but you can put the story together yourself when I tell you that machetes, sharp palm knives, and clubs were on display in the museum. I've also provided pictures of some of the signs that explained what went on. The really eerie part of my visit was in realizing how recent all of this took place -- it was while I was living in Korea and attended graduate school at Ohio State that all of this took place! How sheltered I now feel.
| Choeung Ek Genocidal Center (Killing Fields) |
| Choeung Ek Genocidal Center (Killing Fields) |
| Choeung Ek Genocidal Center (Killing Fields) |
| Choeung Ek Genocidal Center (Killing Fields) |
| Choeung Ek Genocidal Center (Killing Fields) |
| Choeung Ek Genocidal Center (Killing Fields) |
After the Killing Fields, I went to the national museum:
| Cambodian National Museum |
| Cambodian National Museum - note monks |
| Cambodian National Museum |
| Wat Phnom |
| Wat Phnom |
| Wat Phnom |
Nearby Wat Phnom was a man selling birds -- I imagine to be freed.
As we left the city, we passed by Independence Tower, the tower erected to commemorate the day that Cambodia achieved independence from the French in 1953 (I believe). Note that these pictures were taken from a moving car and in fact, one of the pictures was taken by my driver as we raced around the circle since I wasn't on the side that could see the tower.
| Independence Tower with 100 dragon heads on it |
| Independence Tower |
| Red Piano Restaurant |
Your trip to the Killing Fields reminds me of our trip to Sarajevo this summer. Not nearly as many people were murdered, but the still-visible signs of war (everywhere) make a big impact. We went on a walking tour with a 26 year old guide who talked about hiding in basements for most of his childhood and how his neighbors were killed by snipers. The recentness of the events was stark.
ReplyDeleteSorry for not replying sooner. I haven't been looking at my blog lately but will do so since we just returned from a cruise in the Baltic.
ReplyDeleteAs you can probably see, I also visited Sarajevo, and yes, the comparisons are there (although I don't think I could ever envision anything as awful as what happened in Cambodia except perhaps what ISIS is doing today.) There's a good book that I read about Sarajevo called "The Cellist of Sarajevo" that describes in vivid detail the horror those people suffered in the 90's.