| Teachers' room at Ujpesti High School |
After a little while, Bede Kati came rushing into the office and said, "Dick, the students would really like to meet you, so could you come to class with me to meet them?" I followed her and as I entered the room, they all stood to meet me (just like old days in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia). Since they are all first year students, they were wearing white shirts/blouses for the first day. After today they will wear what any other teenager in the world wears -- tee's and jeans. They didn't say one word but seemed to give me their rapt attention. A little bit too quiet for me, so we'll see what I can do about that.
I returned to the office and waited until it was lunch time. Then Gabor and I went to eat our first lunch at the school.
| Ujpesti High School cafeteria |
That's about it for today so far. I'll close with some other random observations:
- On many occasions, I've practically slammed into doors when entering/leaving buildings. That's because doors appear to open going into buildings rather than out of them.
- The school is very reluctant to use electricity (just like Korea) and so most rooms are only lit by the light shining in through the windows.
- Paper in schools is very precious. I don't recall if I said this in yesterday's blog entry, but the students are required to give each teacher a ream of paper at the beginning of the school year. This ream of paper is then given to the office who collects tax on it (i.e., the office confiscates 250 sheets of it to use for their purposes) and the teacher uses the remaining paper for printing assignments, etc. until they run out and then they get more paper from the students and the process starts all over again.
- Fekete Kati told me that in Hungary, 95% of all teachers are women. However, in Ujpesti High School, there are 50% women and 50% men. Further, there are 1000 boys in Ujpesti and 35 girls.
On the way home I saw an English newspaper and decided that after almost three weeks living here, I'd better see what is going on in the world. I purchased this scrawny newspaper for $2.70! It had better have some noteworthy news in it for that price! I guess they figure if you read English newspapers, you must have some money.
Then I returned home to look up my beef stroganoff recipe to see what else I needed to buy at the nearby supermarket. I wrote my list including beef consomme, lemon, dry mustard, sour cream, noodles, oil, and flour. I then translated what words I could find in the English/Hungarian dictionary and off I went. I quickly found the sour cream (a staple of Hungarian food), lemon, noodles, and oil. I found what I thought was "liszt" (flour) but it said "Buzafinomliszt". Not wanting to end up with flour mixed with garlic or any other unexpected ingredient this time, I asked the deli lady where "liszt" was and she took me to the shelf where the Buzafinomliszt was. Dry mustard was a bit of a problem because all they had was the moist mustard and not dry mustard. I decided my recipe could forgo this ingredient. The deli lady also said they had no broth. Since I thought this would be an important ingredient I decided to select a Knorr's soup packet but couldn't tell which one was beef. I asked a lady shopper if she spoke English (she didn't) so I pointed to the Knorr's selections and said "tehan", the word for cow. To make sure she understood what I wanted I then went "Moo" and she searched and found some beef soup mixture for me. I was all set.
Back home I went and prepared what I hope will be my first attempt at a more complex recipe. It has only 25 more minutes to cook before I get to pour in the sour cream and test it out. We'll see.
Meanwhile, on my stroll, I took a picture of the Vigado, the concert hall that is being refurbished. They've removed the scaffolding so it's beginning to look more like the stately building it once was.
| Vigado -- the Budapest concert hall under renovation |
seems like you had a great first day too! I'm just counting down until I can move into my flat!
ReplyDeleteHi Dick, I am loving your blog. Watched the videos last night. Your pictures are incredible. They make me want to visit Budapest. Maybe Tom and I can come for a visit some time before you return home.
ReplyDelete