Friday, September 10, 2010

September 10, 2010: my new apartment!!

September 10, 2010: Today was scheduled to be one of my more difficult days. Classes for me started at 7:45 nd I taught six continuous classes in a row ending at 1:10. This time I was very pleased with my students in 9E class 1 who did an excellent job preparing for the oral test. They also were attentive and quiet my whole lesson. The other classes went well, too, except for 9E class 2 who continued to be noisy and were not prepared for the oral test. As for the record book, I diligently picked it up and even used a blue ink pen to make my entries.

In talking with Maria in our office, I learned that the new schedule I received in my mailbox this morning (number three in three weeks) was unlikely to be the last. Maria went on to explain that sometimes new teachers enter the schedule due to complaints by the students and their parents about the teaching effectiveness of the teacher. I asked if there was a teachers' union and she said "yes", but it is certainly not as powerful as the one in the US. As for me, I know that 9e (despite the rowdy 9E class 2 students) love me and I heard today that 9D has said very nice things about my lessons, so I don't think I'll be replaced -- at least not just yet!

Meanwhile, one of the other "elderly" Americans sent me an e-mail asking if I'd be interested in tutoring a student in math. This student is located somewhere in Budapest. He didn't give me many details and said he'd find out more and let me know later before I decide. Then, I got a call today at school from a teacher asking if I'd be interested in tutoring an older student in English conversation two hours a week for several weeks since that student will soon be going to England to show his artwork in an exhibition. I said I'd be interested in doing that so we'll see what happens there.

Some more miscellaneous facts:
  • Students are allowed to smoke provided they are 18 or over. They can only smoke in one area of the school.
  • I've noticed many Hungarians reading books on the subway/tram. They don't seem to waste a minute of their precious time.
 Today |I learned that the school has at last found an apartment for me. Fekete Kati told me she hasn't seen it, but that they were delivering furniture today (along with sheets, pots, pans, microwave, washing machine, etc.) and that they would transport me and my things next. I'm waiting to move as I write this, but so far no call has come for me on my phone. Unfortunately I know nothing more about this. I do know that the apartment is in the 15th district (my school is in the 4th) so it's close to school. Once I'm in my apartment, then I can open a bank account, find a doctor, and of course get my resident visa and insurance card. Like a game of dominoes. Please cross your fingers for me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dick,
    We've just found your blog after seeing Ruth the other day. We've been reading and catching up with your progress and adventures. We see Ruth here and there while we're walking the dog. She looks well and had gone to the LA CO. Fair when we last saw her. Brandi is doing great and is now meeting dogs in the field (nicely, mostly).
    We enjoyed seeing your photos of places we visited and those we did not. Sounds like there are politics in every school setting-we aren't surprised that you are a popular teacher. When we saw the beautiful stained glass monument at the Jewish Temple, we knew that you especially would enjoy it. We'll continue to monitor your experiences and good luck in all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I just want to say that you're my favourite teacher in this school. Your lessons are interesting, and sometimes funny. It's great to have an American teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Richard! Glad to see you are doing well! Not much as changed at JPL, but we still talk about you occasionally. Keep up the great work! Kelly Moran

    ReplyDelete