Thursday, September 30, 2010

September 30, 2010: Another Day of teaching

September 30, 2010: This morning's buses tended to take a long time to arrive to take me to school. Thank goodness that I learned that shortcut the students taught me yesterday so that I arrived at school with two minutes to spare. My first class was the 9E class 2 class, the one that I seem to have the most trouble with. For some reason, the class was well behaved and actually seemed to be interested in what I was teaching! There were even times when we told some jokes and had a good time. I wonder if their form teacher had a word with them about me, but at any rate, if that's what it took to get them to pay attention, more power to her.

I understand that today there will be a fire drill. Fortunately one of the other English teachers told me what's expected of me during a fire drill. We'll see how that turns out.


I've discovered that my phone costs are eating me alive. I really don't use my phone all that often, but I seem to be having to buy more minutes every week at a price of 5,000 forints (~ $23) each time. And my costs are only for calls that I make and not those that I receive. I spoke with the other teachers about this, and they all were surprised at the huge cost I was paying. Fortunately Gabor volunteered to take me this afternoon to find a new phone plan that will be cheaper. He looked on the web for the best deal for me but we'll see what's what this afternoon. We're going to go to the store after school today. How nice to have such considerate and concerned friends.

 Later: It was during my 9C Intermediate English class that the fire drill occurred. The bell pulsed a rhythmic beat as it rang, and rang, and rang, and rang. The boys were in a particularly funny mood when it started, and one of them started dancing hip hop to the beat of the fire drill bells. It was quite funny to see. At any rate, we left the room and walked outside where I had to report to the fire drill monitor the class I was teaching and also the number of students who were present in class.


After school Gabor met me by bike at the Ujpest Market. We found the Telenor Sales Office and waited our turn to talk with the sales lady. It turns out that buying a new SIM card from Telenor won't work on my phone since the phone was purchased to work with T-Mobile. She suggested we go to T-Mobile to either buy a SIM card and new package plan there, or take the phone to a service center that can alter the phone so that it works with any mobile phone company (and not just T-Mobile). She told us to go to Ujpest Varaskapu which is one subway stop away. Since Gabor had his bike, he agreed to meet me at the subway station at Ujpest Varaskapu. I figured that I would arrive there much earlier than Gabor, but when I ascended the steps at Ujpest Varaskapu, there he was at the top of them waiting for me. We then proceeded to the nearby Tesco store and found the T-Mobile store. Looking at the different packages that T-Mobile offer, it was apparent that the phone and plan that CETP bought on our behalf was FAR more expensive than the others. I eventually selected the "Active" calling plan even though I don't use my phone that often. The monthly cost is only 490 forints (~$2.50) per month plus a charge based on the number of minutes I use the phone. If I use the phone about 30 minutes each month, this plan is as good as the other one I was considering that has no monthly charge. It was so nice of Gabor to spend this time with me sorting out a better plan for me since I'll be saving considerable money over all. 

As we left Tesco and were walking to the subway station, Gabor pointed out the bus stop for intercity buses going to the artists' colony in Szentendre and also the Danube bend which is supposed to be very beautiful. The Danube bend also is the place where the largest church in Hungary is located. Sounds like a great place to go some weekend.


Well, I guess that's it for today. I'll be meeting my private student later this evening. Perhaps I'll find more to write about after I've met him.

1 comment:

  1. Today's lesson was hilarious. You're seriously the best teacher in the entire school.

    ReplyDelete