Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 17, 2011: Szechenyi Baths (again)

April 17, 2011: After a very late start, we finally made it to Hero's Square and walked to the Museum of Agriculture castle. The flowers in front of the chapel were in blossom. I also saw a roofline that intrigued me to take a picture of it. Although we had had breakfast only an hour before arriving at the castle, Han-Sol claimed he was hungry already, so I introduced him to the langos stall in front of the museum. I had last eaten langos at this stall last November and the man who sold it to us remembered me (recall that he gave me a free bottle of hot wine at that time)! When I went to pay for my drinks that I was going to buy to accompany my langos, he motioned to me that the drinks were free and he gave Ruth and me two pieces of langos, not just the one piece I had paid for again motioning me to not make a big deal of it in front of the other customers! All this because I could speak a small bit of Hungarian!
Chapel at Museum of Agriculture
 

After our snack, we walked across the street to the Szechenyi Baths. Recall that these thermal baths are the largest in all of Europe.
Szechenyi Bath House
It was nice revisiting these baths again. Here are some pictures taken inside the baths.
Szechenyi Thermal Baths

Szechenyi Thermal Baths

Szechenyi Thermal Baths (Sulfur tub)

Szechenyi Thermal Baths

Szechenyi Thermal Baths

Szechenyi Thermal Baths
While Jee-In, Han-Sol, and I were in the baths, Ruth and Jeanine went to the zoo that is nearby. After our baths, the three of us walked to meet Ruth and Jeanine in front of the zoo, and we passed an outdoor area where pingpong players were busy at play and another area where kids were using a trampoline.

After we met Ruth and Jeanine, we went to Alexandra's Book Store for a cup of coffee and food to enjoy the elegant atmosphere of the Book Cafe. Then it was downtown to go to a sports pub to watch the Arsenal/Liverpool soccer match. On the way there, we saw a parade of Waldos, so if you're looking for him, he can now be found on Vaci utca.
Where's Waldo? - on Vaci utca
After the game (a very exciting match that ended in a 1 - 1 draw where both goals were scored in injury time after the second half on penalty kicks), we walked a bit and I sited another interesting building.
And so ended a nice day spent enjoying the sites of Budapest with my whole family.


No comments:

Post a Comment