Sunday, June 12, 2011

June 12, 2011: Slovenia Day 2 part 1 - Ljubljana

June 12, 2011: Although I was tired from my trip the day before, I managed to get up early and immediately started to explore Old Town Ljubljana. As I approached Old Town, I saw some interesting buildings and landmarks. Here's an unusual roof that I encountered on the way.

My walk eventually led me to visit the Town Hall at 10:00, the exact time that a walking tour was to begin. Since the tour was only 10 euros and included tickets for the funicular and entrance to the castle (6 euros), I decided to join the two hour walking tour since it really was only 4 euros extra to do so than go by myself.  


We started with a tour of the Town Hall which was built in the 15th century.
Ljubljana Town Hall - built 15th century
Ljubljana Town Hall - built 15th century
The inside of Town Hall had some interesting walls depicting the city's history.

The Mystic Fountain in front of Town Hall had three fountains and symbolized the confluence of the three rivers that intersect in Ljubljana.
Mystic Fountain

Mystic Fountain
At this point, our guide gave us some more information on Slovenia:
  • The Slovenian flag uses the same three colors that Russia, Croatia, and the Czech Republic use: white, blue, and red. The flags of Slovenia, Russia, and Croatia even look similar, but the Slovenian flag has an emblem in the middle of it to distinguish it from the others.
  • It was Napoleon Bonaparte who allowed Slovenia to make Slovenian the official national language. Until that time, German was the official Slovenian language. As a result, Slovenia is only one of two countries (the other is France) that has a monument honoring Napoleon as a hero for empowering them to select their official language.
Monument to Napoleon (French Revolution Square)
  • The oldest wheel created by man was found in Slovenia. The age of this wheel is believed to be over 5000 years old. The wheel is currently being restored in Germany and Slovenia looks forward to receiving it after renovation to display in Slovenia.
  • The green dragon is the symbol of Ljubljana. It is said that Jason, the Greek who led the Argonauts in the quest for the fleece of gold, followed one of the three rivers through Ljubljana. It turns out that the river he followed "disappeared". That's because there are seven times in the course of the river where the river goes underground before it comes to the surface again. Jason followed the river to one of these "dead ends" and found the green dragon there. A battle ensued and Jason killed the dragon in Ljubljana.
  • While taking our tour, our group just happened to meet the archbishop of Ljubljana in front of the Cathedral of St. Nicholas. Later, we also met the mayor of Ljubljana who happened to be walking across one of the bridges. I guess that's one nice thing about smaller cities -- it's possible for one to meet and talk with top officials of the city.
  • While taking the train from Budapest to Ljubljana, I saw some very tall poles in front of stores on top of which was tied a pine tree. I asked our tour guide what this was all about and learned that this was done when a special occasion such as a wedding or store opening, or some major event occurred. (Unfortunately, I could not take a picture of this because the train had passed the pole by the time I got my camera out.)
  • The guide told us about St George's Day where single young men dress with tree leaves covering their entire bodies and they dance to celebrate the coming of spring.
After Town Hall, we went to see the Cathedral of St. Nicholas. 
Cathedral of St. Nicholas

The huge bronze doors of the cathedral displayed a historic chronology of the city.
Bronze door of Cathedral of St. Nicholas (with beggars in front)

Bronze door of Cathedral of St. Nicholas
The inside of the cathedral was quite impressive. Since it was Sunday when our tour took place, the cathedral was having services. Fortunately we toured the inside of the church between services: eight services are given every Sunday and there are seven services a day during the other days of the week.
Cathedral of St. Nicholas

Cathedral of St. Nicholas

Cathedral of St. Nicholas

Cathedral of St. Nicholas

Cathedral of St. Nicholas

Cathedral of St. Nicholas
After the cathedral, we went to the funicular going to the top of the hill on which the castle ("Grad") was located. "Grad" in slav means "town" but the meaning has evolved over time to also encompass the meaning "castle". 
typical street of Ljubljana with castle on hill in background
Castle with Cathedral of St. Nicholas in foreground

Funicular going to Ljubljana Grad (Castle)the
The castle was built between the 13th and 15th centuries with the tower being built in 1844. The architectural style of each portion that was built follows the fashion of architecture at the time.

Ljubljana Castle

Ljubljana Castle
The view from the tower of the castle was quite impressive. On a clear day it is possible to see one third of the entire country of Slovenia.
view from Ljubljana Castle
insert video of view of Ljubljana here


Below the tower was a chapel.
Chapel in Ljubljana Castle
As we exited the castle, we noticed a library under the tree. This is a free program that attempts to get the younger generation to enjoy reading books again (after a generation or so of kids who have shunned books in favor of mobile phones).
Library under the tree - a free program to introduce books to children
Library under the tree

After the castle, we visited three of the main bridges crossing the Ljubljana River:
1 Dragon Bridge:
Dragon Bridge
Dragon Bridge
2 Butcher Bridge: Note the locked locks that are attached to this bridge and to some of the statues of this bridge. This custom, common in Budapest, too, is where young lovers testify their love by locking the lock on the bridge (or wherever) and then toss the key into the river. How would you like to testify your love by locking a lock on the statue of a dying fish?
Devil on Butcher Bridge

Butcher Bridge with locks of lovers testifying their love -- the keys are in the river
Dead fish with locked locks of lovers - keys are in the river
Bronze statue on Butcher Bridge
3 Triple Bridge (three bridges next to each other):
Triple Bridge

Triple Bridge
The tour ended at Triple Bridge in Presernov Square where the Franciscan Church of the Annunciation is located. By the way, the word for "Square" in slav is "trg" (no vowel!). How would you like to play Scrabble with a word like that?
Franciscan Church of the Annunciation

Statue in Presernov Square

Franciscan Church of the Annunciation
Franciscan Church of the Annunciation
After the tour, I wandered on my own and took the following pictures:


Opera and Ballet Hall

Parliament - note model being photographed

Parliament with model


Congress Park

Symphony Hall Ljubljana
Ursuline Church of the Holy Trinity

Street scene with castle in background

 When I walked along the river I saw that a market was taking place. There were all sorts of interesting things for sale -- antiques, food, jewelry, coins, antique musical instruments, etc.
Antique musical instruments for sale at street market
 I noticed the unusual containers for recycling, one container for each kind of recyclable:
Recycle containers
 There were also bicycles that could be rented (for free? I'm not sure but I understand that a similar program will be introduced shortly in Budapest, too). I saw people use a coin to receive a key that opened the bicycle from the rack. The riders could then return the bicycle to any such bicycle rack located anywhere in the city and get their money back. Interesting thought, although as I mentioned earlier, these bicycles tend to take over the pedestrian walkways to the detriment of pedestrians!
Bicycles for rent

Alley with Ursuline Church of the Holy Trinity in background
As I walked back to my hotel, I encountered a woman blindfolded on a cot in the middle of some huge gongs that three people were playing. I suspect the rumbling sounds mesmerized the woman.
Blindfolded woman being mesmerized by gongs

Blindfolded woman being mesmerized by gongs
And so ended my brief tour of Ljubljana. In the afternoon I would go by bus to Lake Bled. More on that in my next blog entry. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment