Monday, June 13, 2011

June 13, 2011: Slovenia Day 3 - Bohinj Lake and Lake Bled Island

June 13, 2011: After a nice breakfast at Pension TTT, I walked to the Lake Bled Bus Station to catch a bus to Lake Bohinj, a larger lake north of Lake Bled higher in the Julian Alps. The bus dropped me off at the far end of the lake where the trailhead to the waterfall begins. The trail began by crossing a river that appeared to be glass it was so clear. In the water I could see fish swimming, a fisherman's paradise.
Hiking further, I passed some very quaint chalet style houses in alpine meadows.

Alpine meadows - yellow, white, and purple flowers as far as you can see
The path wound through the Julian Alps. Unfortunately, the clouds prevented me from seeing too much of the mountain tops, but occasionally they peeked through the clouds.


Julian Alps - note cable car house at top of mountain
Eventually I reached the path entering the Triglav National Park established in 1924. Triglav is the only national park in Slovenia. The path went up some steep steps that led to the Savica Waterfall. In yesterday's blog entry, I mentioned how Jason reached a portion of a river that seemed to come from "nowhere". Well, this waterfall is one of the places of the river that emanates from the mountain. The actual source of the water is a lake farther up the mountain and the water travels to the waterfall underground from this lake.
Slap Savica (Savica Waterfall)
Slap Savica (Savica Waterfall)
Slap Savica (Savica Waterfall)
Because the weather was a bit overcast, I decided not to take the tram that goes to the top of the Julian Alp range because I wouldn't be able to see much at the top. Instead I headed back to Lake Bled. On the way back, I got a picture of a typical house that has huge stacks of wood that are used to heat the house during the winter.
Lake Bohinj - picture taken from moving bus

After I returned to Lake Bled, I decided to take a gondola to the island in the lake. On the way, I passed an interesting water fountain.
Water fountain in Lake Bled
The gondola ride to the island was quite enjoyable. There were around 20 people in the boat and the gondolier easily rowed us across the lake. On the way, I got some good pictures of the castle as seen from the lake.







We finally reached the island and circled it on foot passing extremely blue waters.

Eventually we arrived at the famous steps (99 of them) that led up to the church. Tradition has it that newly married couples walk up the steps, the groom carrying the bride all the way to the top to ensure good luck for the marriage. I asked a couple from South Dakota (around my age) if they wanted to renew their vows with me recording him carrying her up the steps but they declined.

The church at the top was very quaint. There was a service going on in the church so we couldn't go inside, but I did get a picture of the service going on through the window at the back of the church.
Church of the Assumption - built 1866


Before leaving the island, I took one last picture of the castle from the island.
Bled Grad as seen from Bled Island
On our return trip, it started to rain a heavy rain as we reached the middle of the lake. Our gondolier ably managed to get us back to shore safely.

After getting off the boat, the rain stopped and I got some pictures of interesting sites of the city.
 Another great day enjoying the pleasures of Lake Bled and surrounding area.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment