My adventure for the day was to visit the art museum which I discovered is on the Buda side of Budapest -- right on top of the hill in that large building I displayed in a previous blog entry. Being familiar with getting around in the Vaci utca area, I set out on foot through Vaci utca, crossed
Danube River, and walked up to the line to board the funicular going to the top of the hill. However, the line seemed to go very slowly, so I decided to walk up the hill instead -- good choice since the cost to go up the funicular was ~$4.00 and the walk was really quite simple, gradually rising up the hill going through courtyards, turrets, and other castlelike features. I was at the
There was a stairway going up from the fifth floor into the dome of the art museum. Looking out were panoramic views of the city below. Also, one could see men assembling wooden booths in preparation for the folk arts festival to be held this weekend (St. Stephen's Day, a national holiday will be August 20th and there will be fireworks, etc. to celebrate.)
The picture of the magnificent building with red steeples across the river is the Hungarian Parliament Building.
After viewing the Fisherman's Bastion, I found an inviting staircase that wound its way down the hill so I wandered through streets going downhill until I ended up at the bottom of the funicular.
Then a short walk back across the bridge and through Vaci utca and I was home.
I'll conclude today's entry by making some more observations on Hungarian life:
- Street musicians can often be seen on the streets and in alleyways. Most tend to play the violin, especially czardas type music. This music often has flourishes that sound quite gypsyish. The quality of the playing is actually quite good. I've also heard jazz on the street with other instruments besides violin.
- Today it finally struck me that there really are very few overweight people on the streets -- this considering all the sidewalk cafes seem to be quite busy all the time. In general, though I'd say that the average Hungarian looks very svelte. And who knows -- perhaps with all the walking I'm doing, I'll be able to lose the stomach I've developed!
No comments:
Post a Comment