Sunday, August 29, 2010

August 29, 2010: Margit Island

August 29, 2010: Finally figured out the washer/dryer in the apartment. Amazing what one can do with instructions written in English (found the manual in a desk drawer). The clothes turned out great -- the unit is a washer and a dryer all in one. When I removed the clothes, they were all very hot from the drying cycle. 

Other interesting Hungarian curiosities:
  • I haven't seen any gas stations yet. I did see a sign with a gas pump and an arrow pointing inside a building, but there are no gas pumps visible in the city.
  • I haven't see any movie theaters yet. I have seen a couple of posters for movies (e.g., Dogs and Cats) but I haven't seen any marquis theaters showing one movie let alone 18. I hear that there is a place in Budapest that shows western films.
  • So far I have not watched one second of TV; I really don't miss it at all. I have not seen any western newspapers for sale. That's something I probably should try to find eventually, or perhaps I'll get into the habit of looking up news on-line.
  • Burger Kings and McDonald's are everywhere. Prices appear to be comparable to what we pay in the US at those restaurants.
And now, on to the day's activities: Today I did some sightseeing with a fellow CETP teacher. We met at the central point for all transportation in Budapest, Deak Ter which is just a couple blocks from my apartment. We then took a subway to the northern bridge leading to Margit Island on the Pest side. As we exited the subway, we saw many drab apartment buildings (communist era buildings) and the traffic was intense. Practicing our Hungarian a number of times, we eventually found and crossed the Arpad Bridge connecting Pest to Margit Island and then to Obuda, the third section besides Buda and Pest that form Budapest. 


In Obuda we first visited Zichy Palace which was built in 1757. There we went into a museum which contained artifacts from times before America was even discovered by Columbus. 
Statue in Obuda
Square in Obuda
After touring the museum, we retraced our steps across Arpad Bridge to the northern end of Margit Island. This large island reminded me of Grand Central Park. A jogging path was filled with joggers who ran on the spongy red surface especially installed for joggers.
Joggers on special spongy path installed for jogging
On the east side of the island was a large stately hotel and spa, the Grand Hotel.
Grand Hotel on Margit Island
Leaving the path surrounding the edge of the island we entered the center of the island. The foliage was very mature and green with huge trees providing shade for picnicers and people playing soccer, walking their dogs, and roller skating. Eventually we found a quaint church where a service was in progress.
Church on Margit Island
Close to this was a very tall tower which overlooked an enormous amphitheater which is used for opera and pop concerts (Ozzie Osborne will be coming in October). We paid to climb the tower which provided an excellent view of the park.
Tower on Margit Island
Stairs leading up the tower
Stairs going down tower
Amphitheater on Margit Island
Shortly after leaving the amphitheater we came across a chocolate lab who eagerly waited for her master to throw her a ball for her to catch.
After this we encountered a large colorful flower garden with a fountain that "danced' to music that was played on a loud speaker. (Sorry for giving your neck a strain in looking at the video -- I didn't realize you can't film video sideways with this camera.  Also the sound of the water falling drowns out the music of Sarah Brightman and Andreas Bocelli)
Garden on Margit Island

Close by to this was a small zoo where children could get close to animals.
Nearby we had lunch on a bench in the shade. Numerous families passed by us. Hungarian children seem to especially love the plastic tricycle (just like our Han-Sol did when he was young).
Other families enjoyed renting a bicycle type vehicle that they peddled in the park.
After a little while we arrived at the southern end of the island to find a beautiful statue at the entrance to the park.
Statue on Margit Island (back)
Statue on Margit Island entrance (front)
After crossing the Margit Bridge that connects the island to Buda and Pest, we arrived on the Pest side. From there we walked to the Parliament building (see posting from a few days ago). Here are some additional pictures of the Parliament building.
Statue at Parliament Building
Parliament building (facing the Danube River)
We headed toward the Danube River to walk along its shore and came across some bronzed shoes that were implanted on the shore. There were candles near some of the shoes so I suspect that they have some significance to Budapest's history. Since there was a plaque written in Hebrew nearby, I wonder if they represent oppression to the Jews of Budapest. Note: I've been informed about the significance of the shoes from one of my blog readers. Check it out at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoes_on_the_Danube_Promenade (Thank you, Tom!)

Bronzed shoes embedded on shore of Danube River
From the Parliament Building we walked back to Vaci utca where I took pictures of familiar sites for tourists including the three wheeler drivers.
Three wheeler drivers on Vaci utca
Nearby was a violinist who was playing music from Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Very good.
Violinist playing Vivaldi
After such a long walk, my companion and I decided we deserved an ice cream sunday. Mine consisted of walnut ice cream, a very rich (almost like eating fudge) chocolate with hand stirred whipped cream and nuts, and of course a blue pom pom.
Ice cream sunday at Vaci utca
As you can imagine after such walking, I'm relaxing. In looking at my e-mail, I received one from my boss at Ujpesti High School and learned I'm to report to school tomorrow, Monday, at 9:00. The day will be short (from 9:00 - 12:00) with "real" classes beginning later in the week.

Later: For dinner, my CETP companion and I decided to have pizza. I went to Deak Ter to meet her and on the way, I passed an open area in front of a large church. People were gathered all around the area and it was obvious that there was great anticipation -- many had cameras out and ready to take pictures of something/someone coming to the square (No, it wasn't me!). I continued through the area to meet my companion and suddenly heard loud speakers playing "Bad" by Michael Jackson. I looked over to the area to see all sorts of dancing going on. There was great excitement. I thought, "Great! When my friend and I return that way, I can see what's going on", but no sooner had the song ended than all the people went their ways and the area returned to normal. 


My friend and I went to have our pizza and afterward when I walked her back to the bus stand and as I was returning to my apartment, I again heard "Bad" but this time it was across the street in the park. I went over there and saw a mob of people doing synchronized dancing. It was very exciting. But again, as soon as the song ended, everyone disappeared and went their way. I again left to return to my apartment and as I crossed the street I heard the music again. I'm not sure what the big event was, but it certainly added a great ending to a fun day. Note: One of my blog readers reminded me that August 29th is the anniversary of Michael Jackson's birthday. Undoubtedly this was the Hungarian way of celebrating this. (Thank you, Tom!)



No comments:

Post a Comment