They also gave me a bus/metro/tram pass that's good through the end of this week. The way this pass (and all passes/tickets for buses, etc.) work is that people board the bus/tram/metro without anyone taking a ticket -- you're on your honor to have paid for the trip before boarding. Then they have agents who board these buses/metros/subways and do spot checks to make sure people really do have tickets. If not, the passenger is given a citation (~$35 penalty). So you can imagine that many people take their chances. I don't plan on doing that.
After meeting my roommates (They put all of us "old men" in the same dorm room suite -- two men in each of the two bedrooms but the two rooms share a bathroom), I prepared for meeting all the other teachers. There are about 40 of us altogether. Then we walked to the tram down the hill from the school. And where should the tram take us but a block from where my apartment was last week! The restaurant we ended up going to was one that I passed just about every day last week! But of course I hadn't eaten there yet. It was a great restaurant -- right on the Danube overlooking the Buda Castle on the other side of the river. Then the sun came down and all the lights of the castle, bridges, etc. were turned on. It was like living in a fantasy.
| Buda Castle as seen from restaurant |
It was fun meeting all the other participants. It was funny that some of them approached me since one had read my blog a couple of months ago and two others had been in touch with me since we'll be teaching in the same part of Budapest.
After dinner, it was back to the hostel and to bed. On the way home, I stopped in the Gereaud Coffee Shop in the same area I had lived in last week and went inside to see this famous social place. No people were seated inside since everyone was outside enjoying the fresh evening air.
| Gereaud Coffee House - Budapest's answer to Starbucks |
| Gellert Hotel and Baths |
No comments:
Post a Comment