Friday, August 20, 2010

August 20, 2010: St. Stephen's Day, (Part 2)

Continuation of previous posting:

The following pictures may be of interest to Karen:

Finally reaching the summit of the hill where the castle is (i.e. Hungarian Art Museum which is housed there now), I watched stage shows of Hungarian folk dancing:





Some of the dancing was accompanied by violin, bass, drum, guitar, and a xylophone type instrument.  After watching the shows, I exited the fair and wandered to the far north of Buda Castle complex.
More stalls outside the Buda Castle
At the far north end is an enormous military museum. There are two floors of war memorabilia and each floor is very spacious. The following picture is taken of the inner courtyard that is surrounded by the museum.
Military Museum
Near the military museum are some remains of buildings that were destroyed in the war.
Only remains of church in Capistrano Square
Maria Magdolna Church (built 1496) - only this steeple remains


Heading home, I visited the stage performance at the foot of Buda Castle. This time there were traditional Hungarian singers and dancers all dressed in native costumes and playing Hungarian instruments and holding things of particular significance to Hungarians. (I don't know what these things are or what they mean but I'm sure I'll learn about them some day.) 
Traditional Hungarian music concert
After they completed their performance, the performers formed a parade and marched across the Chain Bridge singing and playing their instruments. The onlookers applauded as the parade passed.  It looks like the parade headed in the direction of St. Stephen's Cathedral (just a guess but it makes sense since it is St. Stephen's Day.)
Hungarian parade heading for St. Stephen's Cathedral
I returned home to eat dinner and headed out to the Danube around 8:00 to see the fireworks that were to begin at 9:00.  Good thing I went early since the entire bank of the Danube was packed with families and young couples. The fireworks were impressive. They must have been the loudest fireworks I have ever heard -- my clothes literally shook every time a firework exploded! The fireworks were typical of what we would see on the 4th but there was one that formed a spiral going around the center I'd say at least four times. They also had some fireworks that were set off low to the ground and appeared to be like a water fountain shooting upwards. The fireworks lasted for about 25 minutes and then the crowds went on to their evening festivities. 
St. Stephen's Day fireworks display
 While on the bank of the Danube, it was beautiful to see the entire Buda Castle and the Citadel lit up at night. Unfortunately, my attempts at taking a picture of this failed.  Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment