On the way to school, I noticed Hungary's contribution to recycling -- huge plastic containers where the population can contribute their waste in separate containers depending on the item.
| Receptacles for recycling |
I went to my office and met Gabor who took me to the school library where I opened an account so that I can check out any books I like. They have all the classics in English literature as well as simplified versions that could be used in my classes. They even have Dan Brown's latest book (why, I don't know since his first book, The Da Vinci Code was not exactly what I would call notable literature). I also looked over the math book, but it was one written in Hungarian. They must have one written in English since math is taught in the English language.
| Ujpesti High School library |
After this we all went to the English department's first "formal" meeting. There are twenty English teachers in the school, and I'm on the team for four of the five English teacher teams for grade 9. There's 9A, 9B, 9C, 9D, and 9E. Of these classes, 9A is the weakest of the five classes and they will not be part of the bilingual program. 9B, 9C, and 9D are the strongest students in grade 9 and each of these classes will have twenty classes of English per week. I will be teaching English conversation six times a week to each of the 9B, 9C, and 9D classes and four times a week to 9E which is slightly weaker than the bilingual students. As I said, there are three other teachers on the team teaching each of these classes and the other teachers will divide their duties to English grammar, written English, and reading. I am very pleased with all the other teachers I've met to discuss upcoming plans for doing this. They all speak impeccable English and will be very easy to teach with. They have all made it very clear that I'm to do what I want to do, however, I've told them it seems that it would be in the students' best interest if I were to exercise the students in the grammar that the others are teaching so that they're getting drilled in that grammatical lesson. They liked that idea, so that's the way it will be.
The English department's meeting started off with the Assistant Headmaster (Lecsi whom I met yesterday) welcoming everyone (I think) and giving them guidelines to work by. I say "I think" that's what he said because the entire meeting was conducted in Hungarian. Then Fekete Kati, the head of the English department spoke. She had two pages of things she discussed and the teacher who sa
No comments:
Post a Comment