Last night since we completed our last day of lectures on Hungarian culture, teaching, and language, we celebrated by going to a very fancy restaurant (one that "requires" dressing up in a collared shirt and long pants). The restaurant was close to Hero's Square and as I walked in the restaurant, there was a man playing a cimbalon for background music.
| Entry to restaurant |
| Cimbalon player at restaurant |
| Espresso coffee - note how tiny the cup is next to the pepper/and salt shakers |
Today is the day that we meet our contacts at our schools. This will take place at 1:00. From then on, I will be with Kati (short for Katalan) who will take me to school, introduce me to others (hopefully). However, because my apartment at the school is not yet complete, I am "forced" to stay in my friend's apartment for one more week in the best part of town. It will be nice to spend more time roaming around the city. I've finally reached the point where I no longer need a city map! I can now officially say that Budapest is my city!
Meanwhile, Ruth visited her dentist last week. He asked her if she was related to a "Richard Halverstadt from La Canada who played bridge". Apparently he had seen my name on a list of players at the San Marino Bridge Club where I play bridge. Ruth replied that yes, Richard is her husband and further told him that I was in Budapest. Since her dentist also plays bridge and is from Hungary, he gave Ruth the name and phone number of a Hungarian friend of his who plays bridge in Budapest. So, I plan on giving him a call some time today and perhaps I'll have the opportunity to play bridge while I'm over here! That should be great fun.
Another note about St. Stephen's Square: After visiting St. Stephen's Basilica the other day, I realized that this is the square that has a very sophisticated underground parking structure under it. I think you will be shocked to view the story about this at the link http://www.woehr.de/en/projekte/budapest_m730/index.htm
That's it for now. I'll add more later after I've met Kati.
Well, it looks like there was a misunderstanding between Kati and CETP. All of us CETP teachers were picked up by our contacts except me! I wonder if my reputation has preceded me and I was stood up. At any rate, CETP paid for a taxi to transport me and my luggage to my friend's apartment in Vaci utca area and when I set up my computer, I saw an e-mail from Kati telling me when school would begin, and some other information. All I have to do is figure out how to get from here to the school. I'm sure Kati will let me know all the details. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to wait several more days before I get to actually see the school and meet my cohorts and students. I can't wait!
Shortly after arriving in my apartment, I went to the nearby supermarket to buy some groceries. I even found pink grapefruit in the supermarket so I'm all set. Now all I have to do is wait until the big day to begin school.
Also, I managed to call the friend of Ruth's dentist and he asked me to call him again on Monday and he'd introduce me to some bridge clubs here in Budapest. This should be fun.
My friend's cousin also managed to find the directions for the washing machine in the apartment. I am now attempting my first load of laundry. We'll see how this works out.
No comments:
Post a Comment