August 18, 2010: After breakfast at home, I decided to take a walking tour of Andrassy Ut (Andrassy Blvd) which extends from St. Stephen's Cathedral to Hero's Square, a walk of 1 1/4 miles. In my continuing move to save money (see why by reading my entry for the Opera House), I decided to use the lunch tote bag that Liz (Chan) Diguanco gave me as a going away present. This meant going to the mini supermarket next to the apartment to purchase ingredients for a sandwich plus a softdrink. I bought a large slice of thinly sliced ham, a package of cheese (haverti I think), a nice baguette, and a bottle of Canada Dry ginger ale. I returned to the apartment to prepare the sandwich, put my lunch in the lunch tote bag, and off I went. Andrassy Ut is the Park Avenue of Budapest. There are many fine mansions and embassies along the way. The first major stop on Andrassy Ut was the Budapest Opera House, but there's so much to say regarding the Opera House, I've decided to write a separate posting on that activity alone. Andrassy Ut is quite a mature boulevard and is lined with large trees that grace the road one end to the other. Along the way there was a lush park filled with trees and of course all sorts of cafes that were filled with people eating at all times of the day (see pictures).
| Park off Andrassy Ut |
Continuing on Andrassy Ut, I finally reached Hero's Square, an enormous plaza in the middle of which is a tall pillar with archangel Gabriel on the top and with statues of seven bronze horsemen (Magyar chieftains led by Arpad whose tribes conquered the land in 896) circling the base of the pillar. To each side of the plaza are art museums, one housing modern art, the other internationally known artists (e.g., Breughel, Renoir, El Greco, etc.) I decided to visit the second of these and when I went to purchase a ticket, I was told the cost was 1900 forint (~$8.50). Then I remembered that CETP required me to purchase an international teacher's id which enables me to get discounts on things such as art museums. I showed this card to the ticket seller and asked "Does this card give me a discount?" to which she replied "Yes, the ticket is free for you". I had to ask her to repeat what she said I was in such shock. The museum is enormous and contains a huge room containing Egyptian art including many mummies, sarcophagi, Greek antiquities as well as several floors of artists from all countries and all times. The paintings were also displayed in a very aesthetic way. (see pictures of Hero's Square and the art museums).
| Hero's Squarre |
| Budapest Museum of Modern Art |
| Budapest Museum of Art (International) |
Another park that I visited just to the north of Hero's Square contained a fascinating castle. The castle is so interesting that I couldn't help but take several pictures of it. This castle now houses the Museum of Agriculture. (See pictures) There was even a moat surrounding the castle but the moat does not have water in it. In fact, there is a lot of construction going on to enhance other buildings near the castle (just as there was in 2006 when Ruth and I last visited this castle).
After visiting Hero's Square and the additional castle, I retraced the path I had taken getting there, stopping once again at the Opera House for a 3:00 tour. On the way, I passed the Liszt Academy (see picture). Details of the Opera House are in a separate posting.
| Liszt Academy |
Needless to say, my legs are very tired from all the walking I did today, but on the whole it was a very satisfying day.
No comments:
Post a Comment