Tuesday, October 12, 2010

October 12, 2010: Miscellaneous

October 12, 2010: My tough day of teaching is over -- six classes in a row ending with a very rowdy 9D Intermediate class. The weather was too nice outside and with the end of the day pending, they just could not sit quietly during today's lesson. I just wish I could bottle up some of their energy and sell it -- I'd be a millionaire.

Good news: Yesterday I went to Laci, the vice principal of the school who has a close contact to a seller of tickets to shows, concerts, etc. and asked if he would get me a ticket to see the Phantom of the Opera next Monday (only 3,600 forints or ~$18) for a central balcony seat, and a ticket to see/hear Brad Melhdau and Joshua Redman at the Palace of Arts (only 3,300 forints) for a second balcony seat. Today Laci reported that he was successful in getting the tickets for me, so I'm all set. (Thanks, mom, for my birthday present of money to buy these tickets!) Although I'm continually amazed at how high prices are in Hungary for a teacher to live on, I'm equally amazed at the low cost of ticket prices. The tickets above would have cost me around $230 (~46,000 forints) in the US. I plan on taking advantage of these low prices as long as I'm here.

Travel plans: Since our trip to Transylvania was postponed to spring, I've decided to go to the coast of Croatia ending perhaps in Venice, Italy for my fall break. I'll be traveling with Jack, Deb, and Ric, a friend of theirs. The three of them live in Nyiregyhaza, a small city in eastern Hungary, and Jack and Ric teach English there. I'm looking forward to the trip and will undoubtedly have all sorts of interesting things to report on my trip after I return -- no day to day report since I will not be taking my computer with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment