Monday, October 25, 2010

October 22, 2010: Hungarian Memorial Day

October 22, 2010: Note: Pictures and video will be uploaded later. 

Since tomorrow is an important national holiday, our school had an assembly at noon to commemorate the uprising that took place in 1956. That’s the year that Hungary took a stand against the Soviet regime. Although the world in large took note of this uprising, the world stood by and watched as the Soviets took over Hungary and did nothing to help Hungary stand up for its rights. I asked Laci why Hungary would celebrate a day which was the start of the period that the Soviets would take over Hungary, and he said that Hungary wants to remember this incident so that it stays in everyone’s mind and won’t happen again. In commemoration, speeches and poems were read by students of this incident. Students also came to school dressed up. The boys looked quite smart wearing suits and ties.

Pictures of students on stage

Later in the program, the students danced to music depicting Hungary’s resistance to the Soviets. They also sang. The video below shows a part of this program. The song being sung is of a Hungarian woman telling a Soviet soldier that he should return to the Soviet Union rather than stay in Hungary.




In the evening, I returned to downtown to take my walk along the Danube. I notice that the same two blond sort of chunky women approached me asking for directions to somewhere nearby. They apparently didn’t recognize that I was the same person they approached a couple of weeks ago, because they complimented me on my good English again. I get the impression that they were soliciting. In fact, on one evening two different pairs of blond chunky women asked me for directions to the same place. This all must be a ruse. As you can imagine, I was not able to help them find wherever it was that they were looking for. They seemed surprised that a tourist would be walking the streets without a map. At any rate, I walked on.
While roaming tonight, I looked for the hotel that Joe and Sonia will be staying at in a couple of weeks when they come to Budapest to visit. Their hotel is in a great spot for them to be able to see a lot of the interesting sites of Budapest. It will be good to see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment