Saturday, October 30, 2010

October 29, 2010: An evening with American friends

October 29, 2010: School today went fairly well considering that it was the last day before a one week vacation. The students actually were into the lessons until near the end of the day when it was clear that the end of school was in sight. After school, I returned home and called my American friends, Jack, Deb, and Ric who had arrived from Nyireghaza in east Hungary. We planned to meet in the afternoon, do a bit of sightseeing, and then have dinner together. I met them in a nice restaurant near their hotel and afterward I suggested that we go to the Alexandra Book Store to the coffee house for a cup of coffee. I told them that this coffeehouse was "typical" of the coffeehouses in Budapest. Below are some new pictures I took while enjoying a cup of cappuccino. The three of them were very impressed with this coffeehouse. It truly is a marvel.
Alexandra Bookshop Coffee House
Alexandra Bookshop Coffee House


From there we walked down Andrassy ut downtown. I showed them the normal sights of Vaci utca and all the tourists and shops.
Shop on Vaci utca
Then we made our way to the market which was unfortunately closed heading to Raday utca for dinner. We selected a nice restaurant for dinner and had a great evening. It was the first time I had eaten out since September 21st when Deb first arrived in Hungary and we ate out together then. I had a delicious dish of pig's knuckles stuffed in cabbage and bacon with a nice beer. From there we walked a bit more to the bus stop and I escorted them to the New York Coffee House, another "typical" coffee house in Budapest. Again they were all stunned by its beauty. Below are some new pictures I took while there.
New York Coffee House
New York Coffee House
Lobby of Hotel next to New York Coffee House

After that Ric and I escorted Jack and Deb to their hotel before Ric and I returned to my apartment where Ric spent the night (We CETP teachers always try to save costs of hotels by hosting each other). It was really great to be out on the town with others rather than traveling alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment