Sunday, October 3, 2010

October 3, 2010: Kerepesi Cemetery and New York Coffeehouse

October 3, 2010: Although the weather was still a bit gloomy, I decided to explore Budapest a bit more. I decided to visit Kerepesi Cemetery where many Hungarian statesmen are buried. First, I called my colleague, Gabor to see what he was doing for the day. He told me that he was dropping his father and son off at Keleti Train Station and would be free to meet me after that in the early afternoon.  Perfect timing and perfect location since Keleti Train Station is the stop where I need to get off the bus to go to the cemetery. Gabor said that he would call me after his father and son were on the train. 

In the meantime I headed for the cemetery. I dismounted the bus at Keleti and explored this imperial looking train station built in 1884.
Keleti Train Station

You can see all sorts of construction taking place in front of the train station. Some day when (if?) the construction is completed, this will be a very elegant square to look at.
Construction in front of Keleti Train Station: an elegant square some day
Inside Keleti Train Station
Inside Keleti Train Station
Construction in front of Keleti Train Station

A short walk from the train station I arrived at Kerepesi Cemetery, an enormous cemetery where many famous and important Hungarian generals and leaders have been buried. I started my visit of this cemetery roaming through what looked like hundreds of gravesites for Russian(?) soldiers -- at least all the grave markers were written in Russian. The dates on the gravestones indicated that many of these soldiers were killed in the mid 50's when they were in their twenties. It was almost as expansive as the Arlington Cemetery. Beyond this section of the cemetery I found that the grave markers became more elaborate. You'll have to excuse the number of pictures I took of the gravestones because with each step I took, the gravestones became more elaborate, all calling out to me to take its picture.
Kerepesi Cemetery: Russian soldier section(?)

Here are three tombstones that perhaps Ruth may want for her grave when the time comes.

potential grave marker for Ruth?

Then there were the obvious choices for mine:
potential grave marker for me?

As you can tell, I spent quite a long time walking among the gravesites. Leaving Kerepesi, I found other interesting buildings.

I eventually left and headed for Erzsebet korut where the New York Coffeehouse is located. Surprisingly, this coffeehouse is located in one of the buildings I could see from the bus that I normally take to get home from the city, and thought I should visit it because it looks so interesting -- here was my chance to do that! However, since Gabor and I were going to meet for a drink, I thought I'd postpone going into the coffeehouse until I had met Gabor. I continued my walk down Erzsebet korut and passed by the playhouse where Jesus Christ Superstar is playing (and where Phantom of the Opera will soon start showing). 
Madach Theatre: where Andres Lloyd Weber productions take place
A short distance beyond the playhouse is Oktagon, an area I'm very familiar with since it's on Andrassy ut -- Budapest is certainly coming together for me -- I can now find shortcuts to places instead of the longer more cumbersome ways I've been going. On Andrassy ut, I sat on a bench and ate my lunch that I had packed and brought with me. Then I walked to Husok tere (Hero's Square) and from there returned by subway to Oktagon where I walked back to New York Coffeehouse. As I was roaming the streets there, Gabor called and I gave him directions on how to get to New York Coffeehouse from Keleti Railway Station. Just after I hung up, I noticed that I could see the station from where I was so called Gabor back and told him to walk instead of taking the bus. On the way to meet Gabor, I saw a very elaborate bed on sale in a furniture store. Perhaps I should buy this before Ruth comes in December?
Elaborate bed in furniture store



We met and went to the New York Coffeehouse, the most elaborate coffeehouse I've ever been in. The building is very elegant and the coffeehouse itself is two stories high and is decorated in bellini type columns, baroque decor and lots of gold all over. Below are pictures of the coffeehouse and even the men's room.
Men's room at New York Coffeehouse

Gabor and I each ordered a beer. The beers came with an hors d'oeuvre that consisted of pieces of cheese, dried tomato, black olive, and sausage.

While drinking our beers, Gabor told me a little about the elections that are taking place today. He said that the former Communist Part, MSZP is running against the Fidesz Party. From what Gabor and others have told me, the former Communist Party leaders retained all the Hungarian 
property in 1989 when Hungary broke from the Soviet Union. As a result, these politicians have all the "goods". There are many who hope that the Fidesz party wins and can improve the currently intolerable economic conditions. I asked Gabor when the Fidesz officials will take office and he answered that they would begin their leadership "immediately". I told him that in the US, it takes several months before a President is sworn in after he/she has won an election, but Gabor said that it could happen as early as tomorrow. He said we'll have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, in talking with CETP, I learned that they are observing all of us teachers teach English. So far they have not indicated when they will come to my school, but apparently there are some issues that have arisen in some schools. One teacher in a southern city has such difficulty keeping discipline in her classes that she has asked to go home! Fortunately, I haven't reached that point yet. I note that last week the students appear to be more eager to learn. Hopefully, that trend will continue.


The picture below is another "ordinary" building that I walked by on my walking tour today. It seems that these "ordinary" buildings are all over the place. Budapest must be one of the most beautiful cities in Europe because of them.

The next picture is a bed that I saw in the window of a furniture store. I wonder if I should purchase it in preparation for Ruth's visit to Hungary.

No comments:

Post a Comment