Tuesday, October 26, 2010

October 26, 2010: My Hungarian Dialog

October 26, 2010: I don't know if it's because of the week long vacation that occurs next week or what, but the students have certainly not been in the mood for studying this week. Two classes were so out of control that I decided to stop teaching and just let them "study" their dialogs on their own. I think the students got the message that I was more than a little annoyed and so the classes were quiet from that point on. However, for the remaining classes I found very enthusiastic students who seemed to make the most of the lesson. In fact, toward the end of class after having taught a dialog about "leisure time", I had some extra time so I spoke with each student about what they do during their leisure time. One boy who was in "one of those moods" told me that he spends his time beating up kindergarten girls. This of course got a lot of laughter in the class and I asked him if he lost the fight. In pursuing the discussion a bit more, I asked him what else he does and he responded that he plays with his Barbie dolls. I asked how many dolls he had and he said "Thousands". At least the students were speaking English! Another class came to me at the beginning of class and presented me with a dialog in Hungarian that they had created and wanted me to learn! The dialog was along the lines of the dialogs I've asked them to learn -- it was about going to the movies. In fact the dialog even looked exactly like what I give them to learn since it was on a narrow strip of paper. The dialog appears to be written for a student of Hungarian language that is a bit more advanced than I but I'm going to make the effort to learn as much of it as I can.

So that's how school has been this week. And tomorrow should be "interesting" since we'll be having the Halloween and Thanksgiving Day activities. I'm to be in charge of the booth where the students draw a picture of Halloween and there also may be face painting if the school has funds to buy the paints. We'll see -- frankly I can see that activity getting out of hand with 14 year old boys. I'll definitely have my camera ready for that so you can see what it was like.

No comments:

Post a Comment